Coconut and red veggies smokey stew
Coconut creaminess with a slightly crunchy texture from red peppers, the softness of chickpeas, a hint of acidity from tomatoes and tofu smoky flavour, this red veggies stew is a plateful of deliciousness. Really quick and easy to make, you can serve it with bulgur (my fav) or some rice or quinoa for a gluten-free version.
Serves: 4 – 5 people. Total time: 45 minutes (preparation 30 min, cooking 15 min)
INGREDIENTS (organic and in order of use)
2 tbsp of Olive Oil
2 long Red Peppers (1 big Bell Pepper can do too)
250g of Smoked Tofu
150g of Cherry Tomatoes
1 heaped tsp of Turmeric
1/2 tsp of Cumin
1 tsp of Paprika Powder
1/2 of Garlic Powder
250g of cooked Chickpeas
250ml of Coconut Cream or thicker Coconut Milk
2 pinches of Unrefined Coarse Salt
3-4 tours of Black Pepper grinder
A handful of fresh Basil
240g of Wholegrain Bulgur (60g per person)
- Sauté 1 halved and then thinly sliced onion with 2 tbsp of olive oil for about 5 minutes.
- Add 2 red peppers chopped in 0,5cm thin rings and 250g of diced smoked tofu and continue to sauté for another 5 minutes. Pour a bit of water if the veggies start to stick.
- Add 150g of halved cherry tomatoes, 1 heaped tsp of turmeric, 1 tsp of paprika, 1/2 tsp of cumin, 1/2 tsp of garlic powder and continue for 5 minutes more.
- Add 250g of drained chickpeas, 250ml of coconut cream, 2 pinches of unrefined salt and a 3-4 turns of black pepper grinder. Stir everything together and let simmer for another 15 minutes on medium-low heat (4 out of 9).
- While the stew simmers cook separately 240g of wholegrain bulgur (or quinoa or rice for a a gluten free version). It also takes about 15 minutes to cook.
- When ready sprinkle with some coarsely chopped fresh basil. Quick and delicious 🙂