Mushroom and smoked tofu Stroganoff
Rich, creamy, smoky, wholehearted and of course meatless Stroganoff, I present you my take on this evergreen classic dish. A little French twist – a shot of cognac – gives this Russian a very special aroma. It is sooo delicious you can put it on your holiday table to please even your meat-eating friends. Just don’t use the word “vegan”, it may scare them off, hihihi ;).
All our family (from France, UK and Serbia) is joining us here in Stockholm for Christmas and this French-Russian baby will definitively be on the menu.
We prefer it with mashed potatoes (check the most delicious vegan potato purée here) but you can of course have it with your favourite pasta or boiled potatoes.
Serves: 4-5. Total time: 1h (preparation 30min, cooking 30min)
INGREDIENTS (organic and in order of use)
3-4 thin Carrots
- Chop finely 2 onions and 4 cloves of garlic and cut the 3-4 carrots in thin slices. Sauté them together in casserole pan with 4 tbsp of olive oil, covered, on a medium heat, for about 10 minutes.
- Add 2-3 tbsp of soy sauce to the pan and continue cooking covered, for 15 more minutes (add a bit of water if carrots start to stick).
- In the mean time, halve your mushrooms with stems and then chop them in slices (3-4mm thick).
- Add them to the pan, combine them with the cooking veggies and add 70ml of cognac (or 150ml of red wine). Simmer (uncovered) for about 15 minutes until the alcohol evaporates leaving only the rich flavour.
- Add 1 tbsp of ground paprika, 1 tsp of dried thyme, a handful of fresh parsley (or 1 tbsp of dried), unrefined salt and pepper to taste, 250ml of oat cream and 1 tbsp of corn starch diluted in 120ml of water. Combine all the ingredients together and let simmer, covered, for about 20-30 minutes, on a low to medium heat. Stir from time to time to enable the sauce to thicken evenly.
In the mean time, cut the 250g of smoked tofu into small sticks (2cm x 0,5cm) and sauté them separately with a drizzle of olive oil for a few minutes to brown them.
- When the sauce is ready add tofu sticks to it and serve with some wholegrain pasta or mashed or boiled potatoes, or…