Kale, shiitake and lentil veggie stew
Thick and comforting lentil veggie stew with an irresistible combination of different veggie textures and overall creaminess. It is filling still low in calories and packed with nutrients. The coconut cream makes it mild and even more flavourful. One of our all-year-long favourite but even more so now, in the autumn, when there so many different mushrooms around 😉
Serves (generously): 4. Total time: 1h 15 min (preparation 45 min, cooking 20-30 min)
INGREDIENTS (organic and in order of use)
3-4 tablespoons of Olive Oil
1 big Onion
4 cloves of Garlic
1-2cm of fresh Ginger
1 level tablespoon of ground Coriander
2-3 pinches of coarse Unrefined Salt
1 1/2 level tablespoons of Curry powder
150g of Kale
280g of cooked Green or Black Lentils (70g per person)
100g of mushrooms (I use shiitake, but any could do)
200ml of Coconut Cream
- You can always use canned lentils but if you prefer cooking them yourself start by doing this. Bring to boil 3 volumes of cold water for 1 volume of lentils (with lentils in the water) and then cook for about 20 minutes (maybe a bit longer for black lentils).
- Chop 1 onion, 4 cloves of garlic and 1-2 cm of fresh ginger finely and cook them with 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil for about 5 minutes. On a medium heat in a big enough stew casserole or even better in a Dutch oven.
- Grate 1 carrot and add it to the casserole together with 1 level tablespoon of ground coriander, 2-3 pinches of coarse unrefined salt (sea salt or Himalayen) and 1 1/2 level tablespoons of curry powder. Add also a ladle of lentil water so it does not stick to the casserole. Let simmer covered for about 10-15 minutes.
- Add 150g of washed and chopped kale and keep cooking covered for 10-15 more minutes.
- While the veggies simmer, drain the lentils but not completely, for about 1/2 to 2/3 of their water. Take out 1/2 of the lentils and mix them in a food processor (or with a hand blender) to a “smoothie” consistence.
- Chop 100g of mushrooms finely or in chunks, as you wish. I prefer the chunks for their texture.
- Add the mixed lentils, the “grain” lentils, the mushrooms and 200ml of coconut cream to the casserole and let simmer covered for about 20-30 minutes.
- When ready, let it cool a bit, sprinkle with some fresh parsley and indulge 😉